15 October 2010

Quilted Jacket Alternative

Do you go quilted? I ask only because my oft-mended Barbour Liddesdale jacket is due to retire any day now and I am in the market for a replacement. Quilted jackets are a light, casual alternative to heavier waxed jackets, barn coats, and polo coats. Pair your quilted jacket with an OCBD, denim trousers, Gucci loafers, and maybe even an Hermès scarf if you are sufficiently daring. Here in Southern California, quilted jackets are ideal for breezy winter days on the beach and cold desert nights by the fire. In the London of my youth Italians and French were identified by their navy quilted jackets, adherents of the French version of Sloane-dom, BCBG, especially so. A white-haired WASP dowager of my acquaintance is known to wear her after-midnight black quilted jacket practically round the clock whilst she potters about her cliff-hugging seaside Laguna Beach mansion sipping glasses of chardonnay, smoking cigarettes, and cursing the Democratic party in cumulatively abusive terms. The synthesised techno-fibre of the quilted jacket means you needn't worry if your garment is christened with spilt wine, slobber from happy hounds, chicken tikka masala, or tossed bacalhau. I plan to acquire my next Barbour quilted jacket from a North American merchant. Where shall you get yours?

8 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Retire my old barbour, never. The zippered pocket for carrying freshly shot game, across the back of the jacket, has always come in handy.

Anonymous said...

"Do you go quilted?" You make that sound filthy AC!

I do but only in the country.

TurbulentN98 said...

I bought mine in Farlows about twenty years ago and I am still wearing it.The jacket has had a few disagreements with rose bushes in the last few years as I now mainly wear it in the garden.Barbour ones were very popular with Chavs around my part of the world so I tend not to wear mine as much as I used to.
My wife has a number of these in different colours and we call them our M&S jackets as the staff there used to wear similar ones to go into their food freezers back in the early 1990s.

ADG said...

Let me know when you source an acceptable one...because I can't find one suitable.

A.E.F. said...

Admiral- I'm going to ask you to send me your old one and I shall patch it up and re-cut it to fit me. I'll offer to send you an Hermes scarf in exchange - I get the impression you're one of the daring...

jeune premier said...

i love these jackets...i don't have one but i'm at the search for the right one!
this kind of jacket is the most appropriate for winter in Greece...

v. Braun. said...

I had one as a teen (as a 16yr old) and unfortunately discovered that they don't fit me (or my character) somehow...it was a green one, I cannot exactly remember what manufacturer, though. I believe either a French one (maybe Facionable?) or some British one, maybe John Partridge? They seem to be very en vogue again this year, just saw some the other day in beige or navy with red lining...

Anonymous said...

Does ANYONE know what kind of v-neck sweater vest the man in the picture is wearing? (under the jacket but over the button-down shirt) It looks very nice and I'm DESPERATELY searching to find that exact one! If anyone knows which brand it may be, or where I may be able to buy it (or something very similar) PLEASE let me know! Thanks a lot!