14 August 2012

Brazil: Luxury Poolside

Hotel Fasano, Rio
Ah, Brazil! My parents used to visit Brazil quite often, for business and for pleasure. Somewhere in the coastal interior of that vast country there is a plantation named after my family, a tribute from one of my late father's good friends. I went to school in England with the sons of Brazilian diplomats. (My goodness, how those chaps liked to party...!) And I once dated a Brazilian girl. I ponder these escapist memories as I sit poolside in California, roasting in the heat and sweat, not always appreciating as I should the singularity of my present circumstances.

7 comments:

King Lear said...

Enjoy yourself Admiral.

Anonymous said...

Only 16+ months until the Affordable Care Act kicks in full force.Lucky chap!!

DEK said...

Years ago I spent a season in Brasil. I remember being impressed by how optimistic the businessmen were whom I spoke with in Rio and Sao Paulo. But I spent most of my time in the Amazon and it was like living in a dream.

Anonymous said...

One must beware of South American men, especially in a boarding school atmosphere. Orwell, writing of his time at St. Cyprian, notices a beastly preponderance of homoeroticism among the South American portion of the student body, since their puberty happens earlier and more uncontrollably than among European races.

NJS said...

Every night is Friday night and every morning is Saturday morning!

DEK said...

With a great deal of difficulty I got through a local call in Rio to a stranger whose name I had been given back home and as soon as she figured out that I was claiming to be a friend of a friend she invited me to a party. It would start at eleven and not to worry because there would be a lot of people there who spoke English and she would send a ride it I needed one.

They are friendly people down there.

Soxtory said...

One must be alert for homoeroticism and pansexuality in any boarding school. I have heard the earlier puberty theory about our (U.S.) southern states as well as applies to the over all pre teen population.