28 April 2011

Royal Wedding Provisions

The word on the street is that I am some sort of royalist. For once they are right: I am, indeed, avowedly so. Monarchy is the most natural form of government and I am a natural kind of chap. I would much sooner be ruled by an hereditary monarch than by the ambitious, grasping, power-hungry products of a so-called meritocracy and party-political system. When it comes to the sacrament of marriage, however, I am rather less sanguine, in light of recent events. But never mind. I plan to celebrate the nuptials of H.R.H. Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton with determination and a smile, cocktails-at-the-ready as always.

My personal connection to the monarchy is absolutely non-existent. All I have are memories and anecdotes. I do of course remember being forced to watch the wedding of H.R.H. Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 (what a glorious summer it was!) and in subsequent years was kept up-to-date on the sad decline of their union thanks to a salacious media machine. Too much has already been said and written about that, you can be sure.

In 1988 Princess Diana narrowly avoided running me over in her small blue motor car just outside Kensington Palace. I happened to be one of the first visitors to Kensington Palace on the misty morning of August 31, 1997, before the heaps of flowers, cards, teddy bears, and crowds of mourners. The public reaction in Britain to Princess Diana's passing was largely a media-fuelled triumph of hysteria and emotionalism, I thought, which convinced me the Americanisation of Britain was finally complete. But enough about that. What is good, true, and beautiful will endure. We musn't forget it.

It's time to celebrate! With that in mind, I raise my glass to H.R.H. Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton.

8 comments:

Vesuvian Woman said...

Authentic!

v. Braun. said...

I'll think I'll modestly restict myself to the Saphire and the Polo there! (If I wasn't scared of the masses [of people], I'd fly over and cheer them on, too! Hurrah!)

Silk Regimental said...

I'll have a few G & Ts as I fast-forward the DVR through all the commentary later on today.

Cheers!

John Groves said...

Oh dear! Are those products really what sums up Britain? Only the gin is worth imbibing even if i am a Beefeater man myself

Anonymous said...

My in-bred Puritan roots run too deep for any kind of genuine royal afinity: a direct ancestor of mine in fact temporarily returned to England from Massachusetts Bay to fight for Cromwell. However, I must admit that my wife has had all of our TVs on since very early this morning, and I have enjoyed watching the British celebrations.

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

John Groves ~ Those items are what helped me stay awake long enough!

Anonymous said...

I love gin and tonics. Cheerio!

w. adam mandelbaum esq. said...

I guess it's times like this we should remember that old Brit saying--"Keep Your Gin Up."