10 December 2009

Filly-in-Charge

Do you work under a female boss? I am not referring only to the bedroom, but to the office. Women managers, I have found over the years, are easily influenced and manipulated. They are highly susceptible to flattery, and easily swayed.

Female bosses are unfocused. It is a result, I think, of multi-tasking. In one bank where I worked, I knew a group of male analysts who, on being approached by the female department head with some large task in hand, would immediately ask about her weekend, or ask about her daughter who was away at boarding school, or compliment her on her hair. After a while she would leave, flattered and flustered, apparently having forgotten why she wanted to talk to the analysts in the first place. I have seen this technique work time and again.

In the past, when I had a female boss, I was usually able to use my charm and good looks to get my own way, or to obtain preferential treatment of some kind, including office sex. The trick with a female manager is, never make her forget that she is a woman first and foremost--even if she looks like your Aunt Phyllis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't for forget the instances when the pedantic / maternal / spousal instincts dominate and you get the nagging micromanager who requests endless updates or lists to track the lists and gives exasperated sighs when you would prefer simply to complete the task at hand...

Lisa said...

I am laughing too hard to be offended.

Anonymous said...

I worked for a woman once. That mistake will not be repeated.

Anonymous said...

I *worked* once and won't repeat that mistake, either. ;)

No, but very good observations, and practical, too!