11 August 2010

Cruising the Creed Bar

Just last week, you may have heard, I had occasion to visit Neiman Marcus in Newport Beach to procure more Creed fragrance, of which I am a devotee. There are only two reasons to visit NM: Creed and Kiton. To reach the Creed desk one must first pass through the ladies' perfume department. Normally such a detour is not particularly exciting, but it is an entirely different kind of trip when one realises one has dated almost half of the women under 40 working there. Still I soldier on and the accompanying photo (above) shows the rewards of my brief adventure. I purchased the ol' regulars Green Irish Tweed and Royal English Leather. I tried Aventus, the terrific new scent designed by Edwin Creed himself. I strongly recommend it. I have a feeling it will be added to the line-up. I typically do not wear scent to the orifice, where it would have a distracting effect on the female staff, but I do wear Creed at weekend rendezvous. Men's scent, I suspect, is often deployed to camouflage the smell of fear, shame, or dishevelment; in my case I use it to mask lust and contempt. Do you have a favourite fragrance, and if so, which one?

18 comments:

HGB said...

I too am a Creed devotee. Typically use Green Irish Tweed, but not daily. It is a strong scent and not everyone in these end days appreciates it. My daily go to is Kiehl's Original Musk, sometimes as a base before applying other scents. HGB

Tucker said...

Équipage by Hermès.

David Toms said...

Yatagan by Caron.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but believe it to be the quitessential man's scent.

Another favourite is Gentleman by Yardly, now elevated to mythical status as trying to find it is like searching for the Holy Grail

Barima said...

I'd like to second Équipage (I'm also fond of Rocabar and Un Jardin en Méditerranée) and also submit Christian Dior's Eau de Sauvage

My knowledge isn't comprehensive enough for my own liking, I'll freely admit

B

Anonymous said...

Penhaligon's Castille and Acqua di Parma, until I developed a mild allergy to it.

Fatfriend

Lisa said...

Voyage and Terre d'Hermès are wonderful. My nose is quite sensitive, so if I can sniff one of these scents out on a fella... *swoon*

Royal English Leather is exquisite too!

Anonymous said...

You roue!
Hmm, my favourite scent would be of a man coming out of the surf - salty and natural.

Des Esseintes said...

Crown Perfumery's Marquis.

One more discontinued classic...

dE

v. Braun. said...

Tucker: my granny always used Calèche by Hermès.

I e.g. like BB/by Penhaligon and in autumn/winter Knize 10.

A.E.F. said...

Admiral, as I have no sense of smell I have to rely on tried and trusted scents that come in pleasingly designed small glass bottles that I keep in the fridge: Chanel, Acqua di Parma, TCP...

Anonymous said...

KNITZE 10 FOR THE BLUE HOUR
MOUCHOIR DE MONSIEUR FOR MORNINGS
CARON POIVRE FOR PROVOCATIVE WINTER EVENINGS

young brunette hottie said...

Royal English Leather on you, and my raspberry-scented lips on your neck.

Hilton said...

I prefer to wear Green Irish Tweed during the winter months. I'd like to acquire another Creed fragrance, but there is quite a few nice ones to choose from.

A lady friend recently gave me a light fragrance for summer called Declaration by Cartier. It's not bad, my nose detects a slight lime note.

Anonymous said...

I like both Creed Vetivers as well as Terre d'Hermes, but more often than not I reach for the Eau Sauvage.

I have yet to sniff the rather new Voyage (Hermes) and for some reason have never sampled Creed's English Leather.

I guess I'm headed for N-M on Saturday (Chevy Chase, not Newport Beach).

Kai said...

Bois de Cedrat by Creed

wiljello said...

Green Irish Tweed rules !

Scale Worm said...

Tobacco Vanille, Tom Ford is my current favorite, that and Bermuda Royal Lime Bay Rhum.

Jacobite said...

Guerlain Impériale.