14 December 2011

Sherlock Holmes: Fierce Energy

'My own complete happiness, and the home-centred interests which rise up around the man who first finds himself master of his own establishment, were sufficient to absorb all my attention, while Holmes, who loathed every form of society with his whole Bohemian soul, remained in our lodgings in Baker Street, buried among his old books, and alternating from week to week between cocaine and ambition, the drowsiness [sic] of the drug, and the fierce energy of his own keen nature.'

"A Scandal in Bohemia", Arthur Conan Doyle (1891)

6 comments:

La Sombra Sofisticada said...

Ah, Holmes!

White Horse said...

Drowsy on cocaine?

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

WH ~ Hence the [sic]. ;-)

DEK said...

It's my impression that Holmes' drug use was a detail of character that Doyle eventually decided not to be as useful as he thought in the beginning. I do not recall it as being important to the plot of any of the stories.

NJS said...

It is odd - as Conan Doyle was a medical doctor.

v. Braun. said...

I like to take cocaine so that I can drink more...