20 January 2009

Black Tie Affair

Tonight I co-hosted an investment seminar at a local beach resort. It was a casual event. I wore a lightweight Paul Stuart tweed coat in a tan and green check pattern, charcoal worsted trousers, black tassel loafers, ecru OCBD from Brooks Brothers, and a black knit tie. I normally don't wear knit ties, much less one in black, but I thought it was a subtle enough acknowledgement of the significance of the day. In other words, my very own black badge of resistance. I held court admirably, I think, as a mass of retirees, local executives, and business owners pressed upon me their concerns for the future. If one looked closely, one could see real fear in their eyes. It would have been quite a sobering experience, I imagine, if I had not downed so many whiskeys.

4 comments:

JJ said...

Admiral,

Admirable ensemble. I like a solid black tie when done properly.

Richard said...

LBT, I am sure you looked great, but I cannot gather the ensemble in my mind. Do you think you could post pictures of the items either on, or laid out on a dressing table. You see, the black tie and shoes is throwing me. Again, I am sure you looked great though.

And the business executives etc. should be worried. Until this country can once again compete with the cheap labor of the world, and renegotiate the NAFTA agreement, well... we might become a third world country. It sounds far fetched, but even in the Great Depression......we found a way out through jobs created by WWII. Not FDR's plan to put the entire country to work with government jobs....sorry FDR lovers. Anyway with NAFTA agreements, the competeing against the cheap labor will not be possible. Though I guess the rest of the world will be hurting as well when nobody (in the US) can buy their cheap products due to lack of employment. Heck, I need a whiskey !!!!!

Zingiber said...

Here's to the amber fluid.

Anonymous said...

Admiral, the well-penned description of your attire brings to mind a very elegant and aesthetically pleasing visual image. I love the idea of ecru and charcoal. In fact, a BB ecru OCBD sounds so perfect for Spring the next time I'm on Madison Avenue at 44th I shall buy one for myself.
Being english however the idea of a black knit tie seems supremely ironic...