17 August 2011

Crockett & Jones Slip-Ons

A pair of C&J side-gusseted brogued
slip-ons, one of several in my collection 
The photographic image (at port) depicts an old pair of black Crockett & Jones side-gusseted brogued slip-ons, one of several in my collection. In recent years I've grown rather fond of this style. I like to think it combines both dressy and informal styles, harnessing science and technology to tradition, a prime example of archeofuturistic footwear. But maybe I'm reading too much into it. In any event it's an ideal shoe for the Southern California office environment, I would argue, where penny loafers are too amateurish to wear with suits, and laced oxfords can be a bit too formal at times. In the photograph the shoes are standing idly by, a pair of thoroughbreds at the sartorial starting gate. If you look closely you might notice a pretty constellation of punched holes gleaming with the residue of Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur, like little gems on the tops of my shoes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so beautifully written that you've made me want a pair to call my own.

2Stoics said...

Agreed!

Lacroix said...

Great pair of shoes! Maybe it is just my to austro-centristic shoe taste, but theese are arguably more dapper than your Cleverly Fairbanks, because of the lack of a chisel*thewissel*-toe.

Michael said...

Splendid shoes. I am fond of the Peal & Co shoe called the Raywood which has a similar combination of the casual and business appropriate. The design is from an early 1920s Loeb model, i believe. Have a pair on now that was made by Trickers in a similar design. The C&Js are much nicer shoes.

Ernie Pillock said...

Another pair of shoes with elastic gussets. Chacun a son gout, old fellow.

A.E.F. said...

Admiral, I don't give a flying f*@# about this shoes suitability for the Southern Californian office environment; I just love your terrific writing.

Anonymous said...

Whilst I enjoy your writing, I have to say that these elastic shoes just seem odd to me. To take a classic brogue and add elastic and gussets just seems wrong. Rather like those elastic waisted pants. A downgrade of styling. I can see the utility in such shoes for the old and infirmed (didnt Churchill have zippers put on his Lobbs), but you Admiral, are neither.

Ultimately, to each his own, and I am sure you wear them well.

Sal Volatile said...

These are the shoes of a cad.