10 August 2011

Fairbanks: Dashing Shoes By Cleverley

If you detect a certain lightness in my step, surely it is because I am wearing dashing shoes. The summer season calls for lighter suitings and a different approach to footwear. One might say, a more elegant approach. At left is pictured a pair of black elastic-sided shoes, the Fairbanks model from the Anthony Cleverley line at G.J. Cleverley in London. The firm refers to it as a galoshed shoe, which I think is a rather unfortunate choice of word, though it is the company's signature style. I am quite fond of it. From my childhood I recall my grandfather, a Canadian oil company executive, in such shoes. In the photo I am wearing a sharkskin suit in light grey and fine charcoal socks, both from Brooks Brothers. In related news, in light of ongoing events in London, I am in the process of organising a band of overseas exiles to jet over to England to defend our favourite clothing and shoe establishments from the invading savages. Because God knows the pussified indigenous inhabitants will not do it themselves. We shall be known as the Savile Row Irregulars, or Admiral Cod's Own Hussars. You know where to find me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please may I offer my services as wardrobe mistress to the company?

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

B&P ~ Certainly. We need someone to design a uniform. I'm thinking of something in black, with pink piping...

A.E.F. said...

Admiral, galoshed shoes will be very appropriate for wading through the rivers of blood.
Looking forward to Tabitha's uniform designs - I'm sure she'll pay attention to such details as pockets for afternoon tea and cocktails.

peter collins said...

Great look. Very good use of turn ups with your footwear.

On the events in London/UK here's some unusual ideas I've heard:

Discussions are raging on rubber bullets and water cannons. An Alternative view is equip the police with letters of job offers - watch the "Yoofs" disperse immediately.

Outsoucing is sometimes viewed negatively these days but there coud be a very strong cas for outsourcing the arrested to China. Good at prisons and a very experienced at "rehibilitation".

La Sombra Sofisticada said...

It's a long time since I was on horseback, but count me in. My grandfather was in the cavalry, if that counts ;)

Your footwear looks great!

White Horse said...

Nice work! I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for some time now.

Anonymous said...

No need to organize protection for Savile Row, there's a video of the Manchester riots where the feral hordes are looting Foot Asylum (plastic sportswear) while the Selfridges over the road is untouched.

That in itself is a sad commentary on society, that our yoof are unable to set their sights higher than disposable sportswear even when it's free for the taking.

Turling said...

I got my can of whoop-ass. Let me know when we leave.

J.W. said...

I haven't seen such a good polish on shoes since my time in the Marine Corps...

Anonymous said...

Hello LBF,
I leave for London on 31 Aug for seven weeks. I shall be staying with my cousin in West Hampstead but touring parts of Europe by rail for 3 of those weeks. Should I pack a baseball bat or perhaps, as one of my fellow-responders waggishly suggested, a few job offers?

Can you recommend a few drinking establishments where I can take my better half? We like the Audley opposite Purdey & Son as well as the Swan in Richmond but I'm sure you would have a more expansive list than us.
Regards,
Ian from Downunder.

Michael said...

I have just returned from Glorious 12th matters in Scotland at which our group determined to instigate a flash mob of toffs who will raid the inventory of Boss, Purdey, Swaine Adeney and so on. Be alert for the tweets.

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

Ian ~ I haven't been back to London for some time now so have lost touch with the latest fashionable drinking establishments.

Outside of clubs, I'm more of a traditional pub man myself. I like the warmth, cosiness, home-cooked meals, and camaraderie.

During my last stint in London I did much of my drinking in Belgravia. I liked The Grenadier, Fox & Hounds, The Wilton Arms, and the Orange Brewery (which my Ulster Loyalist friends always insisted on visiting).

After the Countryside March in 1997 my chums and I met at a lovely little pub in a mews near Hyde Park Corner. Horse & Groom? Can't remember.

The Star Tavern is definitely worth a visit. I used to attend Nationalist meetings in the upstairs room, where, it is rumoured, the Great Train Robbery was once planned.

Last but not least there's a nice pub on Mossop street in Chelsea, which I reckon has seen better days, but can't recall its name...