24 February 2011

Russia Calf Wallet

G.J. Cleverley Russia calf wallet and Brooks Brothers chalk stripe suit
My editor has asked me to scribble a few words on men's leather accessories ("keep it clean, LBF!"), so I have decided to oblige. The photo (at port) depicts a Russia calf wallet from G.J. Cleverley. Show me a man's wallet and I will tell you what sort of chap he is. In this case I am no doubt revealed as shallow, superficial, and unserious, with superfluous resources, which, I suppose, is more or less accurate under current circumstances. Are you surprised? You should not be. It could hardly be otherwise. Allow me to be embarrassingly candid for a moment. Approaching middle age, and as a quasi-orphan, I am bereft of family and obligations thereof; furthermore, I feel deeply the loss of traditional connection to God, nation, tribe, and woman. Everything worth fighting and dying for, it seems, has been obliterated. Our only purpose here apparently is to eat, shop, fuck, and die. Oblivion awaits. But enough of such gloom. Nature will prevail. It is our task in the meantime to remain patient. In this, the end stage of the Kali Yuga, seek out the red slayers of Kshatriya underground with renewed aim. Let us smile at one another and cut fine figures in the afternoon sun. Decision time is near.

3 comments:

A.E.F. said...

Admiral, a Russia Leather wallet must be the only thing to keep your dollar bills and business cards dry when one finds one's be-suited self having to dive into bug infested Amazonian swamps.

Anonymous said...

Surely not all tradition has been obliterated. Your 13 February post, "Arming the New Aristocracy: Existential Guidelines for Members of an Operative Unit" indicates you can pull your old copy of "Ride the Tiger" off the shelf and bathe in the cold comfort of knowing that your homeopathic dose of tradition ripples out in unknowable concentric circles away from you, aiding those who have ears to hear.

My wallet was passed down to me by my step-father who had it with him while he was with the fourth estate (taking an AK-47 to the bridge of his nose in Lebanon in 1975). It's something of a good luck charm. The wallet is mangled, but serviceable whilst inspirational. I raise a cuppa from my gran's samovar in your direction...

Trailer Trad said...

Admiral,

If you received a gift in the mail, but did not receive it personally, it would be some proof of a caring friend, would it not?

Thus, your wonderful writing skills could be thought of as a generous gift from Someone...