03 October 2011

On Writing

A colleague recently asked: "LBF, why don't you write something every day?" Good question. My response is, who wants to talk nonsense all day every day? I certainly don't. I prefer to think before I speak, and reflect before I write. Only 5% of available published information is worth reading anyway. The vast majority of scribblers are people who ought to take up another pastime. "Put the keyboard down and step away from the electric typewriter", indeed. Do bored housewives and angry young men really think they have something meaningful to say? No, they don't. The advent of the Interwebs has allowed and encouraged the proliferation of drivel. For the rest of us, the situation requires a corresponding fine-tuning of our filter.

9 comments:

A.E.F. said...

Admiral, beautifully and eloquently put - and doubtless the most meaningful column anyone's posted all day.

Anonymous said...

All too true, I've decided to embrace the 70's shortly and return to a three day week, I'm beginning to bore myself.

w. adam mandelbaum esq. said...

While the first amendment guarantees (?) freedom of expression, it doesn't mandate an audience for it. The most useful writing done by the great unwashed is a signature on a hopefully good check.

Gemma Ambidge said...

Possibly made me too nervous to ever blog again!

NJS said...

B&P - boring oneself is one thing but, if you stopped, you'd leave a hole in several lives.

Antoine Stumpf said...

May I suggest that you start the ball rolling by retreating to your cork-lined chamber and checking yourself out of the program entirely?

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

AS ~ "That"?! Piker.

Unknown said...

You are right, amount is not a guarantee of quality. Is it not obvious?

Anonymous said...

5% of available published information is worth reading? That seems generous